Saturday, November 29, 2008

Faith 'n Fiction Saturdays: Nonfiction Gift Edition

Amy's question this week is simple but hard.

As you may know, I launched a campaign to encourage people to buy books for the holidays (you can visit that site here) and there are some fantastic blogger who have really contributed a lot of great ideas into the blog. I hope you check it out.

But now it's your turn to share some ideas! What books should be others be buying for Christmas? Do you need any gift help? You can handle this topic in two ways....either make a list of recommended books to give as gifts this year OR ask a question about what book you should get someone. (for whom you have been unable to think of a book gift for).

I've done several posts like this. But I'll keep it on the "faith" side of things.

Bibles. I don't know about you. But I LOVE Bibles. I admit it. I might love them a little too much. The more the merrier is my philosophy when it comes down to it.



The ESV Study Bible is new on the market this Christmas. Released in October. I don't have mine yet. Though it's been purchased :) I am having to be a good girl and wait til Christmas.



MacArthur Study Bible. This one isn't exactly new. But it is the best of the best.



The Reformation Study Bible. Again, it's a few years old now--maybe two or three--but it's still a good choice.

Favorite Christian Nonfiction Titles (My top-ten list)

Taking Back the Good Book by Woodrow Kroll
Knowing God by J.I. Packer
The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul
How You Can Be Sure That You Will Spend Eternity with God and One Minute After You Die by Erwin Lutzer
Putting the Amazing Back into Grace by Michael Horton
Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper
Hard to Believe by John MacArthur
The Sovereignty of God by Arthur W. Pink
Found: God's Will by John MacArthur


© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Wendi said...

I loved the suggestion of a bible - I could really use a great study bible, so I'm sure some of my friends and relatives could too. I also really appreciated the non-fiction title suggestions!

My post is a little late, but here is my
answer
!

:) Wendi

SmilingSally said...

What an excellent suggestion! I didn't think of Bibles. Please come see my answer.