Saturday, September 06, 2008

Who are YOU voting for?


I just read an email from Half Price books about their September literacy campaign. They've got SIX candidates--all literary characters--running for President.
"Half Price Books Launches “Literary Party” Campaign
To get America focused on reading during National Literacy Month this September, Half Price Books has launched a campaign to promote its newly-formed "Literary Party," and has nominated six well-known literary figures to run for the party's nomination for President. Voters can go to www.halfpricebooks.com throughout September and cast their vote."
I'm torn between Atticus Finch and Mary Poppins. You can read interviews with both candidates here and here.

Finch: "A man either has to live with the world the way it is or he has to find a way to change it...My only concern is to make this world a better, more understanding world for everyone. My views are quite simple and very realistic. All I ask is that during conflict this country takes a moment before speaking, before acting and consider things from the other nation’s, or other individual’s point of view, to be understanding...I do my best to be fair and honest with everybody, not just special interest groups, and I do not believe that it is an insult to be called a puppet or any other name that others may think is a bad name. It just shows you how poor that person is, it doesn’t hurt you."

One of the other candidates is The Grinch. His interview answers are all in rhyme. You might want to check that out here.

I think I'm going to have to go with Finch now that I've read all the profiles and interviews....

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Nan said...

What a delightful idea! So refreshing and fun.