Saturday, July 19, 2008

Music Meme

Got this from Jennie at Biblio File. The original meme is... "So here’s my challenge: Name the five guiltiest, most embarrassing pleasures on your iPod–the songs you secretly, shamefully enjoy when no
one’s around. It should almost hurt revealing to the world that they’re in your collection."

I'm not going to do the Jennie version, however, simply because the shuffle elements never work to my advantage. I've got too many sermons, audio books, and such to make them legitimate. That and I have a history of them popping up to Christmas songs and such that I'd never really have on an iPod if I had one that is.

But I'll add my own twist and make it ten of the guiltiest pleasures.

Partridge Family. For the record, I wasn't even alive when the show was on the air. I do seem to remember it aired in reruns for a bit in my preschool years. But I didn't watch it. Not then. Not now. But for some reason or other I have a *weakness* for Partridge Family/David Cassidy CDs of the era. I have ten albums total, but one of them is a Christmas album. Of course, *some* people might consider two songs relatively okay and shame-free. Maybe. Those would be "I Think I Love You"  and "I Woke Up In Love this Morning." Those are their two most famous songs. But what would be the true shame of loving those two? Especially I Think I Love You? So I'll confess to

"I'll Meet You Halfway" from the Up To Date album,
"Last Night" from Shopping Bag,
"Storybook Love" from "Family Notebook

Of course most of the songs on most of the albums I've listened to enough that I can sing along with.

John Denver. I have a friend who can't even bear to hear anyone utter the name "John Denver." It's got to be his initials or a code name of some sort if you need to mention him at all. The back story to my guilty love? I had a Fisher Price record player. I had a few kids records that were my own that I could play. But mom also donated a few to the cause. One of the records from her was the single Annie's Song. The B side was Cool an Green an Shady. I must confess that as much as I loved Annie's Song, my true devotion lay with the B side.

Annie's Song
Cool and Green and Shady

The Carpenters. Continuing the theme of Seventies. Another from mom's collection was Only Yesterday and Happy. I can't remember if each was a single on their own. (Perhaps with instrumental and harmony vocals on the B sides.) Or if they were both on the same single...one being A and one being B. I just can't remember that clearly. Anyway add to the list:

Only Yesterday from the album Only Yesterday
Happy from the album Only Yesterday

This next song shouldn't make me so happy. But here it is. Andy Kim's Rock Me Gently. This was another one of Mom's singles. I *know* this one had the song on one side, and the instrumental/backing vocals on the B side. I know because I used to listen to both. I wonder what is more shameful? The fact that I listened to this song at all (and loved it) or the fact that I would use the instrumental track and sing the song on my own? Probably the latter.

Rock Me Gently

Okay, here's another one for you. This one is just fun in my opinion.

Hernando's Hideaway by Archie Bleyer.

And this last one just dates me a bit.

Barbie Girl by Aqua.

I think what makes this last one fit in...is that while it was the "it" song of the moment way back when (1997???) most people have gotten rid of it since then. Not me.

I don't routinely listen to any of these necessarily. But they're happily sitting in iTunes.










Blogged with the Flock Browser

3 comments:

Bookfool said...

Goodness, you're as bad as I used to be. At least I have the excuse of having lived through the Partridge and John Denver years. "I Can Feel Your Heart Beat" is an old Partridge fave of mine.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I lived through all those songs too. I used to listen to Cool and Green and Shady EVERY DAY as soon as I got home from school. On the record player I bought with babysitting money. Ah the memories.

Jennie said...

I think I love you! So what am I so afraid of? I'm afraid that I'm not sure of a love there is no cure for...

For some reason, my Partridge Family is on vinyl, even though I acquired most of it in the mid-late 90s. But I do need to get some of that on my iPod. With the Brady Bunch.

And Barbie Girl is awesome. Have you ever read "e" by Matthew Beaumont? It's an adult book and Barbie Girl makes a great appearance...