Thursday, December 20, 2007

Reading the Author Challenge Wrap-UP


This challenge was hosted by Incurable Logophilia. My author was Orson Scott Card.

Why this particular challenge? Well, I love reading challenges in general, and this one had flexibility. Reading three books by one author? Something that I could hardly resist. Plus, I'd just created the Cardathon Challenge and thought I could overlap books rather nicely and perhaps spread the word about how great Orson Scott Card is!

Which author and why? I love Orson Scott Card. In fact, I love, love, love Orson Scott Card. But finding time to reread his books can be problematic. You see, I'm supposed to be reviewing children's books and young adult books. And I needed my favorite author to be part of a challenge so I'd have a valid excuse. But that's saying more about me and not enough about him. I love Orson Scott Card because his books are awesome, it's true. But there is more to it than that. His characters are just so incredibly well drawn that they're "real." They definitely become your friends. And it's impossible to forget them. You want to visit them again and again and again.

Which books did you read? I read Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus; Lost Boys; Empire and Speaker for the Dead.

Which would you recommend for someone trying this author for the first time?

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Ender's Shadow would be a nice start as well. For those not wanting to tackle a series Enchantment would be a good choice or Pastwatch. And I just love The Worthing Saga.
How would you characterize the writer or the books? Practically perfect in every way... Or if that's too Mary Poppins for you...amazing or awesome...I suppose would suffice. I love the fact that they're so character-focused, but they don't lack plot and action either. He has so many different styles, writes in different genres, but all are good...and most are great. I definitely have no problem saying he's my favorite and my best.

3 comments:

Karlene said...

I really like him too. I usually read everything new as soon as it comes out, but the last few "horror" titles I haven't gotten to. As a general rule, I don't like horror.

"Santa" is giving me Invasive Procedures for Christmas and I can't wait to read it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for joining in! I am so glad you enjoyed the books.

Dewey said...

Ok, well my previous comment was right at least in one respect; you do love, love, love Card! :)