Monday, August 06, 2007

Wicked Cool Overlooked Books: Pepperland


This month I'm choosing to highlight one of my favorite 2004 books, Pepperland. It was released as a paperback this year. I suppose one of the reasons I love this book is because it has so many Beatle--particularly Lennon--references throughout.

Delaney, Mark. 2004. PEPPERLAND. Atlanta: Peachtree. ISBN 156145317X.

Pamela Jean Cochran (a.k.a. Star) is sixteen when her mother dies from breast cancer. Struggling to find a way to cope, she turns to her music hoping that if she can write a song to honor her mother then she can finally let go of her anger and pain. While going through her mother's belongings, Star discovers a fan letter to John Lennon and a vintage Gibson guitar--now in need of repair. These two items are the catalyst to Star's healing process. Set in the fall of 1980, Delaney's novel is a wonderful exploration of grief, anger, loss, and confusion. Star and Dooley, her best friend, are remarkably well-developed characters. And Delaney's use of language is impressive. One striking passage occurs when Dooley shows Star his new drawing:

"Before me is a portrait of a young woman. She is strikingly beautiful, her face nearly white and her cheekbones shaded in an ice pale blue. Her eyes are large and pretty, but dark and a little wounded-looking. She's not really smiling. Behind her is a background of burgundy and violet. Within this background, and over the girl's face, are crossing lines, like the squares on a sheet of graph paper. It's as if little parts of her have been painted on hundreds of tiles, and the tiles have assembled themselves to make this image. Except in the upper left-hand corner, the pattern breaks down. The tiles are scattered, the lines no longer forming perfect angles. The pieces seem to be falling, cascading into place. The girl is in the process of becoming a complete picture...And then I understand. I see it. The girl with the wounded eyes, the girl who doesn't quite smile, the girl made of a thousand pieces that are falling, at last, into their proper places...She's me" (105-106).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds great Becky - thanks for letting me know about it!

Colleen

Anonymous said...

Becky,I've read the book and it's wonderful! I'm a Lennon fan myself and respect the book. It's just wonderful.

Untitled said...

hmm i read this book and loved it, but this question keeps nagging at me, and there are virtually no answers on the web...i thought it hints in the book that dooley is gay, but im not sure...whats your opinion?