Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Love Is A Many Trousered Thing


Rennison, Louise. 2007. Love Is A Many Trousered Thing.

Love Is A Many Trousered Thing is the eighth book in the Georgia Nicolson series. The first book, Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging was a simply marvelous book. Very funny. Very different. Just enjoyable all around. And each of the sequels has to a certain extent had some of the same charm and humor as the first. But for the past two books really, I'm left wondering how much longer can Georgia go on. In each book, the reader sees Georgia getting beyond annoyed at her friends, especially Jas, and being torn between two guys. Oh, and we also see her do about ten embarrassing things per book. (Okay, maybe not that many, but she does get into quite a few "I carried a watermelon" situations.) Anytime that she converses or flirts with a guy, you can pretty much bet that she'll end up saying or doing something cringe worthy. Which is part the fun I admit. It is these moments that tend to be laugh-at-loud. (Like her weird dancing when her false eyelashes glued her eyes shut on the dance floor in the club.)

But for the eighth book, there really isn't much of the original charm left to go around. Not that formulaic fiction is always a bad thing. Georgia is Georgia. Her two guys? Masimo and Robbie. The Luuurve God. And the Sex God. The original Sex God from the first book. She spends three-fourths of the book trying to even figure out if either one of these boys wants to be her boyfriend. It is probably halfway through before she even has a conversation with one of the boys in question. So the book like most of the sequels is her complaining about her parents, her complaining about her friends, and her complaining because the guy isn't calling her. Georgia is the same old Georgia. Not changed one iota from book one, day one.

You might be thinking that I hated the newest book. It's not that I hated it. I was just disappointed. I loved the books. Especially the first five books. The series was working for me. Each one was a laugh riot. I couldn't get enough of them. And the sixth book was good. I enjoyed it. It had some great moments. But the seventh and eighth books....just feel very tired...and very pointless. Louise Rennison spends 250 pages going in one big circle. You always arrive back where you started.

Confused, complaining, complaining, fighting with friends, complaining, complaining, fighting with friends, complaining, complaining, snogging, complaining, snogging, feeling guilty, complaining, snogging, confused.

What makes Love Is A Many Trousered Thing enjoyable, because there were moments I enjoyed, is the fact that Dave the Laugh plays a role. He's not actually 'in' the book much. But he plays quite an active role in her imagination and in her thought process. And they do have a couple of conversations in the book as well. But her mind does become more and more preoccupied on him. Which if you're a fan of Dave the Laugh like I am (I must admit he's my favorite) then you'll enjoy this book.

For the record:

Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging
On the Bright Side I'm now the Girlfriend of A Sex God
Knocked Out By My Nunga-Nungas
Dancing In My Nuddy Pants
Away Laughing On A Fast Camel
Then He Ate My Boy Entrancers
Startled by His Furry Shorts
Love Is A Many Trousered Thing

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and it was so interesting and well done. I have just recently started a blog of my own, and am adding like bloggers to my blogroll. We share the same name and many of the same interests....All My Children and Sci-Fi...what a combination. Here's my address: http://boomerbook.blogspot.com/
I will definitely gain inspiration from your wealth of reading selections.

tinylittlelibrarian said...

I am also a fan of Georgia but wary of series that go on too long. I did still enjoy this one and I'm a Dave the Laugh fan, too. I think it was 3 that made me think that was it for the series, I didn't like that one much. But she still keeps churning them out and I keep reading them. And I probably will, as long as they still make me laugh, but it would be nice if Georgia did change even an iota one of these days.