Thursday, May 10, 2007

What I'm Reading Meme

The meme-of-the-week seems to be focusing on what people are currently reading. This is a hard question, since most of the time I'm not "currently" reading anything. I typically finish my books in one sitting. Or two. Maybe three. So I'll just be discussing what I've read this past week

Over the weekend, I began reading EVIL GENIUS by Catherine Jinks. I'll admit it right now. It was a slow read for me. I took two days to get to page 150. For someone who usually reads books in one sitting, this is really saying something. I just could not connect to the characters, for the most part. But by about 250, I was beginning to enjoy the story. It is over 400 pages long, and I'm not sure what other readers will think of it. Is it slow to me or everyone??? But I will say this, by the time I was into it 300 pages...I was beginning to be hooked. Beginning to care. I think the 'problem' with the novel--in my opinion--is that the main character is so uninvolved with the human race--so separated, so isolated--that it's hard to care. He is an observer. He looks at things coldly, objectively. He's essentially emotionless. He's so very un-human for most of the novel. But as he begins to grow as a character--begins to become more human--then the book begins to improve.

I also read REALITY LEAK by Joni Sensel. It was good. Much better than EVIL GENIUS. The characters are really unique. The plot just one imaginative element after another.

Yesterday, I read FAHRENHEIT 451 by Ray Bradbury. I chose this one for the Dystopian Challenge I'm participating in...although I did not list it as one of choices. I wanted to make sure it was available to check out at my local library. While many copies were checked out, I was able to find it. This was my first time reading it--and I am quite impressed. In fact, I think I'll probably reread or skim it again before I post my review of it.

Last night, I read STEALING ADDA by Tamara Leigh. Since I probably won't review it for this site--since it's an adult book--I'll take a little more time here. I won this book at Callapidderdays. It is about a (fictional) NYT best-selling historical romance author whose own love life has taken a long break. Since her husband cheated on her with "Stick Woman" (a fellow up-and-coming romance author), she feels her life has been a little out of control. With a deadline approaching, she is beginning to feel that her career, her love life, and her life in general are all spiraling downwards. Is there hope for a middle-aged romance writer? The book is entertaining. It has its funny moments. Its charming moments. It works for me. I have reviewed it for my site, Becky's Christian Reviews.

And the book I am currently in the middle of...STORY OF A GIRL by Sara Zarr. So far, I am loving it.

No comments: