Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Can a cookie be a teacher?

Rosenthal, Amy Krouse. 2006. Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons. Illustrated by Jane Dyer.

The author of Little Pea, Amy Krouse Rosenthal, returns this year with a wonderful picture book titled COOKIES: BITE-SIZE LIFE LESSONS. What Rosenthal does is define ethics, morality and value-based terms in a language everyone (of any age) can understand: cookies become the true universal language.

I would love to share just a handful of these terms and definitions (although without the illustrations, it is not doing the book much justice).

Proud means, My chin is high, and I sure do like the way my cookies turned out.

Respect means offering the very first cookie to your grandmother.

Trustworthy means, If you ask me to hold your cookie until you come back, when you come back, I will still be holding your cookie.

Envy means, I can't stop looking at your cookie out of the corner of my eye--it looks so much better than my cookie. Boy, I wish it were mine and not yours.

Content means sitting on the steps--just you, me, and a couple of cookies.

The definitions ring true and the illustrations are wonderfully done. (Although skeptics might think they are a bit too cute for their own good.) I absolutely loved this book!

Amy Krouse Rosenthal
Jane Dyer

No comments: